Career And Job Advice Forums

Go Back   Career And Job Advice Forums > Main Categories - How To Become Somebody > Driving, Transport, Plant & Machinery

Driving, Transport, Plant & Machinery How To Become a Bus Driver, Truck Driver, Driving Instructor, Forklift Driver, Courier, Excavator Operator, Cab Driver, Crane Operator and More

Career-Forums-Join-Now
More On Our Career Site

Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 AM

Victor is on a distinguished road
Default How To Become An NYC Taxi Driver

My visa came through after 8 years of waiting and I am moving to New York now. I was thinking of becoming a Taxi Driver or yellow cab driver, don’t know how they called exactly. Just to start out and then plan further. It was quite easy to get PCO licence in London but I have no idea how to become a taxi driver in US. Is it east process and is there much work for drivers. Can someone help me out a bit here?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM

Career1 UK is on a distinguished road
Default How To Become An NYC Taxi Driver

In New York City, almost everyone uses taxis on a daily basis. There is a lot of business to be had for an NYC cab driver, and if you would like to take advantage of all the benefits a job as a New York City taxi driver has to offer, you will need to take a few important steps. A job as a cab driver might not sound very prestigious, but in New York, it is a highly sought after position.

The first thing you are going to need is a valid driver's license. Not just any license will do either, it has to be from New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Connecticut. Make sure the address on your license is up to date, and if it is not, either update it, or be prepared to provide ample proof of address. You are also going to need a valid social security card. In other words, if you are a US citizen living in NJ, PA, NY, or CT, you have the basic things you will need to get started.

You are also going to need to keep a clean driving record for at least 18 months prior to applying for your taxi cab license. You also should not have more than 7 points on your license from the DMV. If you want to drive a cab for a living, you have to be able to prove that you can drive safely.

You will also need to complete a certified defensive driving course that is certified New York state. Once you have that step out of the way, you are going to have to attend to Taxi School.

Applicants for a Taxi Cab License will be required to complete around 24 hour taxi school training course. In addition, you may want to complete a course that covers all of the things you can expect to find on the application test. The better informed you are, the more likely you are to get your license on the first try, so you might want to take the additional course, despite the added time, and cost.

You will also have to see a doctor before you can get through the application process. Talk to your doctor about your license application, and they will be able to provide you with a signed, or stamped form certifying that you are fit to drive a cab. You will also need to pass a drug test before you can get your paperwork from your doctor in order.

Now that you have all of these steps out of the way, you can actually apply for the license. Take all of your documentation with you when you apply, and be prepared to pay the $50 fee for the license, as well as the $75 fingerprinting fee. If all goes well, you will be ready to drive a taxi once you pass the test, and get the license.

Once you have your license in hand, all you have left to do is start applying with various cab companies. The road to becoming a cab driver is a long one, but the rewards are worth it.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Jensha is on a distinguished road

There are taxi schools in US? Now that is something I never really thought to exist anywhere. It seems taxis really are very valuable to New Yorkers huh? But I am wondering if a women get any taxi drivers licenses or permit to work there? Or is this just reserve for men. Driving is really easy and can be my temporary work while I am looking for another more permanent job.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Jocasta22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re:How To Become An NYC Taxi Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensha View Post
There are taxi schools in US? Now that is something I never really thought to exist anywhere. It seems taxis really are very valuable to New Yorkers huh? But I am wondering if a women get any taxi drivers licenses or permit to work there? Or is this just reserve for men. Driving is really easy and can be my temporary work while I am looking for another more permanent job.
Lols, exactly. I’m sure nobody will dare to sit in cab/taxi driven by a woman. They must have taken hundreds of test to get that permit/certificate for driving. I’m really afraid of the female drivers as I’ve been recently met with a harsh accident involving a female driver. Well, I’m not saying all the female are such like that (don’t wanna get beaten by the females).

Well, USA has such an organized stakeholders that all the departments run smoothly. I know there are many complications in getting the driving license for professional driving (taxi/cab business) but at the same time they want to ensure full protection of the whole public. They don’t take such an idiotic risk to play with the life of the general public. That’s it.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 AM

RashedMohamed is on a distinguished road

Over the coming months we will be running a series of articles on different driving jobs around the world, and the various requirements you will need to meet to qualify for these jobs. In this article we are looking at the job of the New York City Taxi Driver.

Because of very high turnover rates in the industry, there is a constant demand for new taxi drivers in New York City. Salary levels vary as tips can account for up to 40% of the income of these drivers. According to Terry Gelber , a Licensed New York City Taxi Driver, drivers can expect to earn “from less than a hundred dollars per shift to as much as three hundred fifty dollars per shift”.

How to become a NYC taxi driver
Free Resume Assessment
Cheap Resume Writing Services
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM

allenmartin22 is on a distinguished road

First time I see one want to be NYC Taxi driver. It is good. First you know all the roots and location of your area. Then take your license from government. Know details all the rules of NYC Taxi association.