Career And Job Advice Forums

Go Back   Career And Job Advice Forums > Main Categories - How To Become Somebody > Library & Language

Library & Language How To Become a Liberian, Archivist, Translator, Interpreter, Researcher, Stenographer and More

Career-Forums-Join-Now
More On Our Career Site

Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 PM

happyone is on a distinguished road
Question What's A Stenographer?

I have a really stupid question. Luckily you guys have never flamed me for that! I have heard to term stenographer used many times, but what is that?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM

Irene is on a distinguished road

A stenographer is someone who takes down the verbal exchange or deliberations during meetings, parliamentary sessions or court hearings. Stenography uses symbols to represent words, so that the stenographer can take down the exchange with speed. I think it has been replaced by voice recording machines nowadays.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM

daysleeper is on a distinguished road
Default TV

You have probably seen them on the TV and didn't even know it. They have small looking typewriters that have only a few buttons. They use special shorthand to take down all conversations.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Madison is on a distinguished road

I had a classmate in college who now works as a stenographer in a court. She transcribes all verbal exchanges during the legal proceedings using shorthand techniques.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Srjac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyone View Post
I have a really stupid question. Luckily you guys have never flamed me for that! I have heard to term stenographer used many times, but what is that?
Stenographer is the one who takes down the notes from his boss by usung shorthand language. Once Pitman shorhand was famous. Stenography uses signs and symbols. Those who have talent for this can take the notes symultaniously.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM

henna is on a distinguished road

Shorthand is the art of writing in a method that increases speed and brevity. It involves making use of symbols and figures to represents words, phrases or collection or words. The process of writing in shorthand is known as stenography. A person who is trained to make use of shorthand and uses it in the process of her professional life is called stenographer.

In simpler terms a stenographer is supposed to take notes from his/her boss and make notes of it. A good typing speed and attentive skills are necessary for a stenographer..

u can find more details here...

Stenography in India
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Jensha is on a distinguished road

Nowadays stenographer's are often being employed in court and only some of them now are working as a secretary only. Specially in some other countries where video recording is not yet allowed to be in court, they rely on stenographers to record each and everything that they are saying because stenographer's write down everything in a very short special way.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 AM

allenmartin22 is on a distinguished road

Simply, a short-hand-writer. In this field stenographers keep all long and length record in a symbolic form. They have certain code for specific letter. No need to explain or keep all data in a general way.