Career And Job Advice Forums

Go Back   Career And Job Advice Forums > Main Categories - How To Become Somebody > Horticulture, Agriculture & Animal Care

Horticulture, Agriculture & Animal Care How To Become a Beekeeper, Farmer, Breeder, Veterinary, Horse Trainer, Dog Walker, Florist, Soils Technician and More

Career-Forums-Join-Now
More On Our Career Site

Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM

isabella17 is on a distinguished road
Default Qualifications For Being a Veterinarian Assistant

I've always loved dogs and all animals and have wanted to do something involving them. Being a vet takes more school than I think I could handle or afford and it also takes many years. I would like to have more information about what it takes to become a veterinarian assistant. I think that would be more feasible at this time in my life. Also, can you specialize in one type of animal, like dogs or cats?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Phone_Home is on a distinguished road

There aren't many qualifications needed to become a veterinary assistant. However; generally speaking, someone with an associate or bachelors degree in an animal science field will have a good chance at landing a job.

There are private organizations and schools that focus on veterinary assistance; however it's not necessary. Much of the time; training will be done in an on-the-job basis through hands on training.

It's definitely a type of job that takes a strong heart though. I don't think I could handle it. assisting in the euthanasia of family pets and the depressed family to go with it would be a daily routine.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Count von Words is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella17 View Post
I've always loved dogs and all animals and have wanted to do something involving them. Being a vet takes more school than I think I could handle or afford and it also takes many years. I would like to have more information about what it takes to become a veterinarian assistant. I think that would be more feasible at this time in my life. Also, can you specialize in one type of animal, like dogs or cats?
I think the qualifications differ for location. So, you might want to go down to your vets office and ask them what they had to do to land a job. What courses they needed and how long it took....
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM

RashedMohamed is on a distinguished road

There are no formal educational requirements for veterinary assistants. They receive on-the-job training only.

Job Outlook -Veterinary Assistants:
Veterinary assistants should see much faster than average job growth through 2018.

Earnings - Veterinary Assistants:
Veterinary assistants earned median hourly wages of $10.43 and median annual wages of $21,700 in 2009.

Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much veterinary assistants currently earn in your city.

A Day in a Veterinary Assistant's Life:
On a typical day a Veterinary Assistant may:

feed, water and examine animals;
clean and disinfect cages and work areas;
sterilize laboratory and surgical equipment;
provide post-operative care;
administer medication orally or topically;
prepare samples for laboratory examination under a veterinarian's or veterinarian technician's supervision;
Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 AM

allenmartin22 is on a distinguished road

I think you like specially dogs- am I right? Any way I respect your thoughts. To be a Veterinarian Assistant is good and the path you choose for your career is right and will be effective. You go for this course. I appreciate your career planning.