Career And Job Advice Forums

Go Back   Career And Job Advice Forums > Main Categories - How To Become Somebody > Aviation & Airline Industry

Aviation & Airline Industry How To Become a Pilot, Cabin Crew, Ground Staff, Air Traffic Control, Aircraft Technician and More

Career-Forums-Join-Now
More On Our Career Site
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mel27

Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Krie is on a distinguished road
Default Air Traffic Control And Sleeping

Lately it's been said that air traffic controllers are falling asleep on the job - and planes are crashing.

How do you control this? What kinds of hours are these people working? I don't think I could stay up for hours on end to keep planes safe.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Mel27 is on a distinguished road

It is pretty scary isn't it. I can't imagine working this type of job. I almost think that there are sometimes only 1 person working at a time (at night). I'm sure I would not be able to stay awake all night long.
Srjac likes this.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Maureen is on a distinguished road

I remember someone (the FAA, probably) suggesting that air traffic controllers be allowed to take nap breaks while working. I know it sounds lazy but I think it could help alleviate the issue.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 PM

channet is on a distinguished road

I think it would be unfair to solely blame the air controllers for a rising number of accidents unless the working conditions are at their best.

Personally, I cannot imagine myself staying awake all night.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Srjac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel27 View Post
It is pretty scary isn't it. I can't imagine working this type of job. I almost think that there are sometimes only 1 person working at a time (at night). I'm sure I would not be able to stay awake all night long.
Those who cannot keep themselves awake in the night better remain outside of such a task. But if oned has a great skill it is better that they have company and the help should be provided to keep themselves awake. It is very risky during the night
Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM

scoyne2 is on a distinguished road

3rd shift defiantly has its own challenged, staying awake being the main one. One of the other issues is that the graveyard shift is slow, which is almost as dangerous as being overworked. What we have to remember is that while working all night and sleeping all day may seem extreme to us day dwellers, one does get accustomed to the sleep schedule. At KCLE where I work there is usually a steady flow of maintenance repositions, an occasional GA flight and even some cargo flights for most of the night, in addition to the inspection vehicle. I can't even imagine how incredibly challenging it would be to stay awake at a smaller airport with literally no interaction what so ever.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM

RichardFudnavis is on a distinguished road
Default Air Traffic Control And Sleeping

The incident occurred at the Miami Air Route Traffic Control Center during the midnight shift early Saturday morning, two days before the FAA is expected to conduct meetings on air traffic control safety and professionalism, the FAA reported.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Shark is on a distinguished road

My aunt once told me that she could get me a job as an air traffic controller. I passed on it though. They seem to get paid decently, but I don't think I could handle it. From what I hear it can be pretty stressful, and I'm prone to migraines. I don't think I'd be able to do the job with a debilitating migraine unfortunately. It seems like it would be fun though.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM

SusanWalker is on a distinguished road

Here's some news of workers sleeping on the job that's downright scary. A news investigation produced this story and footage of air traffic controllers at Westchester County Airport sleeping during their shifts. The video, provided to the news outlet by an employee in the air traffic control tower at Westchester Airport, also shows controllers reading and using laptops and cell phones while on duty. The FAA bans its controllers from use of cell phones, personal reading material and electric devices while on duty. Sleeping is prohibited anywhere in air traffic control towers.

Dr. Michael J. Breus: Air Traffic Controllers Asleep on the Job... Still

Send your resume here for Free assessment.

Good Luck!