Default Demand for Astronomers

I have a friend who is going to university with the intentions of becoming an astronomer. I worry that my friend won't be able to find a job in that field. Is there really a demand for Astronomers in the UK or would my friend have to leave?

Default Demand

I would not say there is a demand for them right now. Of course there are some very well paying jobs out there. I think that is a field with a lot of competition so after you graduate you have to work your way up.

I'm not sure if there are a lot of jobs for astronomers right now, but that shouldn't discourage your friend from pursuing a career in astronomy. Who knows, the demand for astronomers may increase in the coming years. To increase his chances of being employed in a good position, he may have to earn a Master's or Doctorate Degree.

Default What kinds of jobs do astronomers get?

After getting their doctoral degree, most astronomers take a number of short term jobs called "postdocs" which last a two years or so each. During this time, they're doing research and publishing papers to establish themselves. After some number of postdocs, they can then find a position on the faculty of a college or university, where they teach and do research, or they can get a position at a research institution. I've also known a couple of PhD's who got faculty positions right out of graduate school.

Send your resume here for free assessment before submission of your resume for post.

Thanks

I can understand your feelings. Don't worry dear. I also have faith on Astrology. Really it has some existence. In India everyone believe in this blindly without any question. But in USA it is less. But making career in this line will not be right. Partially it manageable. Try to motivate your friend not to make a career in this line. If it is her passion then keep it with him partially.

I don't really ever hear of people getting into this field. It is not something that is in demand but if you are passionate about it, it is worth pursuing.
    Chirii Romani in UK. Anunturi cu camere, studio flat-uri si case de inchiriat pentru romanii din Anglia si Marea Britanie. Chirie si cazare ieftina, cu sau fara depozit.

Locuri de munca in Londra, UK. Anunturi cu joburi in constructii, hoteluri, restaurante, fabrici, depozite, ospatari, soferi, cameriste, ingrijire batrani pentru romanii din Anglia, Marea Britanie

Thread Information