Thread: Pilot Pay

Default Pilot Pay

I was watching a documentary the other day - I believe it was a Michael Moore film. It claimed that pilots are making so little money that they often need a second job to pay the bills. Is this generally true worldwide? I always thought that a pilot was a well-paying job.

I know that commercial pilots working in big airlines have high salaries. The salaries actually depend on their number of flying hours (in our terms it is called experience) and the benefits are also great. Maybe those are beginner pilots or they don't work in big commercial airlines, like those working for small rented planes?

I have a pilot friend who always tells me he is striving to increase his flight hours. Pilots are paid well but this also depends on experience and the hiring company.

I worked for a regional airline in the U.S., the pilots made around $14 an hour when flying, which is not too bad as minimum wage was $7, but most of them had student loans so high it was absurd. In addition the job is very time demanding for a new hire as you will often sit reserve and not gain the hours or flight pay.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
    http://www.questionstoaskduringaninterview.net

I was watching that TV program about EasyJet, I think it was called ‘Airline’ and the Easyjet pilots make around 100K a year which is quite realistic. But this is low cost airline so I am sure that BA or Virgin pilots are on lot more than that. I can not rally believe what scoyne2 said that pilot in us making $14 an hour. My friend is landscape gardener in US he is even making more mowing lawns but pilot is a high skilled high responsibility job.

If you remember a few years ago a Dash-8 Q-400 crashed during its final decent due to an incorrectly handled stall.

"Rebecca Shaw — who co-piloted Continental Flight 3407, which crashed in February near Buffalo, N.Y., killing 50 people — earned an annual salary of just $16,200 at regional carrier Colgan Air"

Low Pay One of Many Difficulties Facing Regional Pilots | Fox News

It is sad but the truth, the article goes on to say that in New York, cab drivers make more then starting pilots. It is important to remember that not all pilots make this little, however it takes significant time for one to gain captain status on a 737 or other "main line" sized aircraft. The over supply of pilots coming out of college/trade school coupled with the airlines need to cut costs has pushed pay rates so low, its hard to believe.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
    http://www.questionstoaskduringaninterview.net

Thank you for the link, interesting article. I think I can actually remember that story when it happened but I was not aware that the salary was that low. Makes me even more scared of flying now.

Default You have to love it

You have to love the job. As a regional airline pilot, there are many work rules that we do not like. But, I guess we get past that because we love the flying. If you want to know all the payscales, go to airline pilot central.

D.C.
    The DNA Organization

Thread Information