Default Emotional Requirements to Be a Vet

What emotional requirements do you think are necessary to be a veterinarian? I would think that while you have to love animals you also have to be able to hide your emotions since you are dealing with sick and dying animals. I don't know that I could do it even though I absolutely love animals.

Yes, you need to be able to put those feelings aside while you work on the animal. It doesn't mean you can't feel sad later, though. A friend of mine who's a vet is always upset after losing an animal.

Default Logic over Feelings

To be a vet you have to put logic over feelings. When you go to school you will learn all about animals behavior, biology and physiology. You have to be able to dismiss emotions so you can access that info with clarity.

That is well-said. You have to put emotion aside so as to produce your best. I had never noticed how attached we can be to animals, until my dog died.

A few of my friends quit studying veterinary medicine so it really is an industry you have to think twice before joining.

Just like being a doctor, you have to be emotionally stable and strong. You should be able to keep your emotional distance from your job, otherwise, you won't be effective.

I don't think it's bad to be a 'feeling' kind of person if you are a vet. But if you're the type who can't deal with it healthily then it's probably not the career for you. I know I couldn't deal with animals in pain and distress.

Just Concentrate more on your work and just try to think that pets need a doctor rather then a lover .... they come to you with lot of pain which they cannot even express with there mouth so keep all your feelings aside and be a professional in your field ! ....

pets need a doctor rather then a lover
    Just wrong...poor pets.
    Drifting in the sea of life

Thread Information