Default What is Biotechnology?

I have always wondered what is biotechnology. I have done some research online but there is not much info about it. Can someone explain me what is biotechnology?

Default Biotechnology

So, you are wondering what biotechnology is? Well, it is an integration of technology and engineering to the life sciences. Biotechnologists can produce drugs, hormones, foods and convert waste products by using microorganisms or biological substances to perform specific processes. Biotechnology has a number of sub-branches which include genetic engineering, cell biology and molecular biology.

Nanotechnology is an amazing new sub-branch of biotechnology. With nanotechnology, biotechnologists are working at a molecular level and can engineer the tiniest of objects. The meaning of the word 'nano' is a billionth of a specific unit. It is incredibly to be able to work with, study and manipulate materials that are between 1 and 100 nanometers.

Just to give you an idea of how small nanometers actually are, let's do some comparisons. DNA is approximately 2.5 nanometers. Red blood cells are 1,000 times larger than DNA at 2.5 micrometers. A sheet of paper is around 100,000 nanometers thick!

Working with objects at such a molecular level can be very difficult as their minute size makes them almost impossible to move and manipulate. Imagine trying to scale and mass produce objects within the realm of nanotechnology. This seemingly impossible is now a reality when scientists and engineers teamed up to work at this level together. Those who are trained in nanotechnology will be highly sought after both now and in the future. It is believed that in the US alone, around 1 million nanotechnology researches will be needed – according to the National Science Foundation. By the year 2015 it is estimated that there will be around 2 million nanotechnology workers.

I am just wondering to myself if you are asking this probably because you want to venture into this field? I think it is actually possible to be a researcher at a biotech company and live off it.

In its purest form, the term "biotechnology" refers to the use of living organisms or their products to modify human health and the human environment. Prehistoric biotechnologists did this as they used yeast cells to raise bread dough and to ferment alcoholic beverages, and bacterial cells to make cheeses and yogurts and as they bred their strong, productive animals to make even stronger and more productive offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by hanbanz View Post
    I am just wondering to myself if you are asking this probably because you want to venture into this field? I think it is actually possible to be a researcher at a biotech company and live off it.
    Yes, you can live off and live very well off with a career as a researcher in biotechnology. Be it in pharmaceutical companies, pure research firms, analysis labs and other related research institutes, being a researcher with a leaning towards biotechnology is a challenging but fun career.
    Drifting in the sea of life

Quote Originally Posted by Abramov View Post
    I have always wondered what is biotechnology. I have done some research online but there is not much info about it. Can someone explain me what is biotechnology?
    Biotechnology is the application of biological techniques. It is an ever ongoing research and development. It deals with industry of recombinant DNA, cell fusion. Earlier man disvocered that the fruit juices could be fermented into wine, the milk could be converted into cheese or yogurt and the beer could be made by fermenting solutions of malt. This proceedure perhaps is the initiative of the study of biotechnology.
    Job Interview Questions and Answers

I don't know but if you are considering becoming a biotechnologist then you may want to consider going down the path of nanotechnology. As a nanotechnologist there will be many career opportunities available to you and it is such an exciting field to work in.

Whether you work in nanotechnology or any other sub-branch, biotechnologists will tend to bounce ideas of one another in the laboratory so it is usually a very happy and pleasant environment to work. It is a job where you work and share with each other to achieve your goals.
    hvaccertification-training.com - How To Become HVAC Certified

Biotechnology is the application of computer technology to Biology for finding out new and useful products which help the survival of mankind on planet earth. It includes various other fields like bioinformatics, microbiology amongst others. Robotics has also got a lot of exposure in performing surgical operations and other medical procedures which can be considered as a part of the new age biotechnology. For more information on the same please visit here.

Default Hear is the answer

Biotechnology mentions to the technology used to manipulate DNA. The procedures are often referred to as genetic engineering.

At its simplest, biotechnology is technology based on biology - biotechnology harnesses cellular and biomolecular processes to develop technologies and products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet. We have used the biological processes of microorganisms for more than 6,000 years to make useful food products, such as bread and cheese, and to preserve dairy products.
    Read more... What is Biotechnology?

The exploitation of biological processes for industrial and other purposes, especially the genetic manipulation of microorganisms for the production of antibiotics, hormones, etc.

Biotechnology is a branch of science which generally deals with the products being prepared by the help of the living organism or modify the processes of the living organism and this would be more beneficial for the use of the human beings. One of the best example of biotechnology product is Insulin which is being used for the cure of diabetes.

Thread Information