Default How To Become A Black Cab Driver In London

How do I become a black cab driver in London? I was a cab driver back in the States, and after my divorce, I went traveling to Europe. I stopped by a lot of places but for some reason, I just fell in love with London. Most guys from the States find the people driving on the wrong side of the road stuff very discomforting but I find it very very interesting. I was supposed to spend just a couple of days there, but it is now my 2nd week and I am really contemplating staying here for good. How can a Yank like me become a black cab driver? I know the driving stuff and the knowing where to go aspect of the job would probably take some time to master. It is not like New York where you just hop in a cab and hope for the best. What licenses do I get? Who do I talk to? Do I have to own my own cab or are there companies/ individuals willing to lease/rent them? How much do black cab drivers usually net? I do hope you can help me out mate. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    How do I become a black cab driver in London? I was a cab driver back in the States, and after my divorce, I went traveling to Europe. I stopped by a lot of places but for some reason, I just fell in love with London. Most guys from the States find the people driving on the wrong side of the road stuff very discomforting but I find it very very interesting. I was supposed to spend just a couple of days there, but it is now my 2nd week and I am really contemplating staying here for good. How can a Yank like me become a black cab driver? I know the driving stuff and the knowing where to go aspect of the job would probably take some time to master. It is not like New York where you just hop in a cab and hope for the best. What licenses do I get? Who do I talk to? Do I have to own my own cab or are there companies/ individuals willing to lease/rent them? How much do black cab drivers usually net? I do hope you can help me out mate. Cheers!
    You should be physically and mentally sound. You should have good charactewr. You should have a sound knowledge of the road map in London. The licence is obtainable for three years. But you must have a suitable or valid driving licence and clean against any criminal records. S you need a Medical sound health certificate issued by the Public Carriage Office, issued by the licenced Medical Doctor for the previous 12 months. The medical report should assure sound health regarding 7 major areas, like : Cardiovascular -heart, Endocrine system, diabetes , Epilepsy, Nervous system, Psychiatric illness, Vision, and Musculoskeletal. If you are from USA and having a USA driving licence, you must validate in UK. For the further reference please click the following link: caboloy is the eaminination when you have passed all appaerances on the knowledge
    Job Interview Questions and Answers

To become a black cab driver check out this Transport of London page with all the information you need to know how to become a black cab driver, things like requirements, different licence types, fees and the knowledge test. This is the link here: Becoming a taxi driver | Transport for London

Each applicant for a licence is required to satisfy five basic requirements.

You have to be old enough.
    To be of good character.
    To be fit, both physically and mental.
    To have a thorough knowledge of London.
    To be able to drive a taxi competently and safely.

By law you cannot hold a taxi cab driver’s licence until you are 21 years of age. There is no upper age limit at this time and, provided you meet the criteria that follow, you may be issued with a taxi cab driver’s licence.

Every applicant is the subject of a criminal record check before being issued with a cab driver’s licence. If you have had any convictions you are advised to disclose all of them on your application form. A conviction does not necessarily preclude you from holding a licence - it depends what the conviction was for and the sentence imposed - but you must disclose all convictions and any charges/summonses outstanding against you. Failure to disclose current convictions is likely to result in the refusal of your application.

Every applicant is required to have a medical report form, issued by the Public Carriage Office, completed by the doctor who has held their medical records for the previous 12 months. The medical report covers 7 major areas, these are: Cardiovascular i.e. heart, Endocrine system i.e. diabetes , Epilepsy, Nervous system (including progressive illnesses), Psychiatric illness, Vision, and Musculoskeletal i.e. body

You must have a thorough knowledge of London, including the location of streets, squares, clubs, hospitals, hotels, theatres, government and public buildings, railway stations, police stations, courts, diplomatic buildings, important places of worship, cemeteries, crematoria, parks and open spaces, sports and leisure centres, places of learning, restaurants and historic buildings; in fact everything you need to know to be able to take passengers to their destinations by the most direct routes.

You may be licensed either for the whole of London or for one or more of the 16 suburban sectorsThe "All London" licence requires you to have a detailed knowledge of the 25,000 streets within a six mile radius of Charing Cross with a more general knowledge of the major arterial routes throughout the rest of London. If you wish to work as a taxi driver in central London or at Heathrow Airport you need an "All London" licence.

Alternatively, you may choose to study for a suburban licence. Outside the six mile radius London is divided into sixteen sectors. You can select one of these and will be required to have a detailed knowledge of your chosen sector along with a more general knowledge of Central London. You may add additional sectors once licensed.

Assessment is by means of an initial written test which determines whether you have reached the required standard to commence "appearances." These are a series of one to one oral examinations conducted by a qualified Knowledge of London Examiner. The examiner grades each applicant according to his or her performance. The higher the grade on each appearance, the quicker the applicant can expect to receive a licence. Some applicants pass the Knowledge with as few as 10 or 12 appearances while others take longer.

For expert advise:
    [email protected]
    1-866-821-8819 ext.34
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information