Angry Renewing Your SIA Licence Costs £245

I just got the letter from SIA that my SIA security licence is going to expire in few months time and I have to renew it. Well, that is all good but they want me to pay £245 again. It is just a piece of plastic, how come it costs that much. If my bank card expires they send me a new card for free. I could understand if SIA would charge 5-10 pounds for sending me a new licence but £ 245, that is just ridiculous, there is no way that it cost that much and if it does cost that much to provide me with the new licence then they should re organize their system to get the costs down. Instead of 10 people working on my licence renewal they should have automatic system in place that would just send out the new licence once the other expires. Or if that is really so time and resources consuming process to send out the new licence, should they not give it for longer than a three years then. Can someone please explain this to me please. At the moment I do have a feeling as they want to profit from me.

I do see your point and I do think that SIA was established foremost to collect money and regulate second but you also had to pay before SIA came to being. I remember in old days you had to get a security licence from every council. For example, if you wanted to work as a security in a bar or club in Lewisham you had to have a licence from Lewisham council. If next day there was a job in Camden then you could not do it if you did not have a licence from Camden council or if you wanted to work in Leicester Square you had to have licence from Westminster council. I know some people had like 5 or 6 different licences as lot of security companies had jobs all over London so they only hired people who had mostof licences, Westminster being the main one. And you had to apply and pay for all of them separately. Now at least it is only just one licence you have to worry about.

Yes, The SIA badge renewal fee is quite ridicules, I still got over two years left on my licence. But If I am not mistaken SIA did reduce the renewal fee to £200 just earlier this year. Somebody correct me please if I am wrong.

It's just a money making machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar5 View Post
    Yes, The SIA badge renewal fee is quite ridicules, I still got over two years left on my licence. But If I am not mistaken SIA did reduce the renewal fee to £200 just earlier this year. Somebody correct me please if I am wrong.
    Actually, the SIA licence fee was reduced to 220 pounds. However, from February next year anyone who did their training course prior to 2010 need to take a one day upgrade course to get their licence renewed. This course would cost about 70 pounds so you need to include that on top of your licence fee so the whole thing would cost about 300 ponds total then.

Thumbs up

Applying for or Renewing a Licence and cost >> Go through the following government website.

Applying for or Renewing a Licence

Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Licence

If you have any question regarding SIA Licence Just go to the contact form of this website check: Contact Us

u are right mate, is just a money making machine.

Damn, I'm fortunate I made mine this year. I don't have to do a course again,

Thanks for the links provided, it was very useful.

I share your outrage of the extortianate expense that is the SIA licence my fellow bloggers. I must consider to be one of the lucky ones for G4S are paying for the renewal of my licence. Rightly so given the profits they make every year.

A sugegstion to get around this would be to get your company to sponsor your licence fees, i.e in return for your licence fees you would agree to sign another two year contract with them. Naturally, should you decide to leave within said two year period you would have to re-imburse the company a percentage of the SIA's costs.

Default Renewing the SIA Licence is too expensive

Considering the average security guard wage has stayed the same for countless years now, it is unfair that the SIA can charge £220 just to renew the licence. It is blatantly a simple administrative process, that does not justify the cost they are charging.

Soon the SIA will be launching the SIA licence application and renewal facility at local post offices. Chances are the price won't be any lower however.
    For more information about SIA licenses and Training take a look at my website - www.sialicencehub.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar5 View Post
    It's now £60 for a renewal and £220 for the original application I've just paid it

I just seen its £140 for a renewal now.

Can you link that please? The SIA says £220 still. On the course I did I was told £70 by the trainer.

We will accept licence renewals up to four months in advance of when your current licence expires. If your application for renewal is successful and is processed before your existing licence expires, you will not be disadvantaged as the new licence will expire three years after your current licence expires.
    Renew Your Licence
    ONLY THE BEST RESUMES GET NOTICED
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

This nearly put me off. Ridiculous

Thread Information