Default What Does An Astronomer Actually Do?

I have read that astronomers are highly educated individuals typically with PhDs in sciences etc. I always thought an astronomer was a glorified star watcher. I mean what does an astronomer actually do except look at stars through a telescope? Stars are so far away that surely there isn’t much else to be understood about them except give names to their formations (the plough etc). It would be a cool job to sit up all night studying the stars but I can see it getting boring after about a week!

Default Re: Becoming a Astronomer

In general Astronomy is the study of the stars, moons, and other celestial bodies that make up the universe. Astronomy looks at what these bodies are composed of, how they move, and how they came into existence. Astronomers are the people that do the studying. Many astronomers specialize in a particular area of astronomy, as it is a field of science that stretches across numerous disciplines.

So basically astronomers seek an understanding of how the Universe works from the planets in our own Solar System, to the evolution of stars and nebulae, to whole systems of galaxies, to the properties and fate of the Universe as a whole. Modern astronomy is an interdisciplinary science that relies upon, and furthers the development of, fields such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and mathematics.
    Last edited by Career101; 06-28-2010 at 01:53 AM.

You do not need to become a astronomer to watch the stars. Nowadays you can get very powerful telescope for a decent price which allows you do to do some star watching on you own and if you find that you really like it then you might consider it as a career choice as it is a quite a big commitment to become a astronomer.

I have a friend who's an astronomer. What he does is work at an observatory/planetarium where schools go for field trips. He gives guided tours of the facility and teaches at the exhibits and shows.

Bare in mind though, this is probably not a "general" description of what an astronomer does.

Hi
    Usually Astronomers discover an understanding of how the planet works; from the planets in our own Solar System.

Are your still thinking about becoming an Astronomer? If so, have you started school for it yet?

I think there's lots of things that they do. They can give lectures to students and teach things to people. Some examine and discover new things about our universe, and if you are high up enough some have the privilege of working for large companies like NASA.

I think there are a lot of different fields within astronomy, although don't quote me on it. I know there are people who look for exoplanets and they're called planet hunters, you get cosmologists and people who study rocket science. I think there's a variety of options for you to pursue.

There are different types of jobs in this field. Some astronomers study stars, and try to discover new ones and new galaxies. Some measure distances between stars to determine their distance, and look for habitable planets. Generally, astronomers try to discover how the universe really works by studying stars, galaxies and everything else in space.
    We fix hacked WordPress site in a snap! - Wordpress Malware Removal - Hacked Wordpress Site

Astronomers study planets and the sun in our own solar system, as well as other stars, solar systems, galaxies, and the whole universe. Astronomers try to understand how the universe works. They study the evolution of stars in an attempt to understand how our own star, the sun, and our solar system of planets were created and what will happen to them as they age. Astronomers must learn physics, chemistry, computer science, and mathematics. Physics is the study of the laws of nature and how particles interact with one another. Astronomy is a science where astronomers observe physics at work throughout the universe! Astronomers use physics to help them understand what they are seeing in all the pretty pictures that come off the telescopes. Astronomers have helped physicists discover all kinds of exciting things like relativity, black holes, and nuclear fission. Physics has helped astronomers to understand what makes spiral galaxies have spiral shapes, how stars form, and even how to detect other planets around other stars! Solar astronomers study our sun. It has 11-year cycles of solar activity that have a dramatic effect on our daily lives. Huge solar flares and sunspots result in charged particles bombarding the Earth and interfering with satellite communication, power grids, and cell phones.

Read more...What Does an Astronomer Do?
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information