Default Community Arts Worker - Music

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I would appreciate some advice on how to get involved in community work as a musician, with a view to changing my career. I've always played various instruments but I've never had lessons or done it for a career. I had various part time jobs over the years, then went to university and got a degree in social sciences. I wanted to become a sociology lecturer but couldn't afford to do a Masters or PhD so that was the end of that.

After graduating in 2002 i got a full time job working with young people and children for 18 months, taking them on university visits etc, to raise their aspirations. At the time I found it a bit too much so I went back to working part time for a few years. Now my son is grown up I have been having to work full time, and have ended up doing admin and secretarial work for the past 4 years. I find it so boring and am not suited to it. I would love to get into doing music in the community but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. Even doing arts administration would be better than what I'm doing now. Any advice on this would be really appreciated! Thanks x

The best way to get a music career in your local community would be something between music tutor and community development worker. You can also great and help around in relevant social groups or even work on various education projects.
    Earn Extra Supporting Artists and Charity

Make some extra money for Christmas - and discover a great way to add colour to your blog.

Yes the problem is I don't read music so couldn't be a music tutor. In the last few years I've been mainly playing banjo and fiddle, acoustic folk type music. However years ago the piano was my main instrument and I used to play jazz standards etc. I am now thinking of going back to this and maybe teaming up with someone who sings, and playing in old folks homes or something like that. To get some experience. Doubt if I would ever get paid for this so maybe I could go on to play at functions etc. Would have to get up to scratch again though!

A few years ago I landed a gig teaching children music at the community center. The pay is nothing special; but it's a lot of fun to do. I love working with children, and I love making music - so it's a win/win for me.

I have a teaching degree and majored in music which definitely helped me land the job. When going to school I wanted to become a music teacher, but since then, my thoughts have changed. I would still like to teach music, but part-time, so this is a good job for me.

The class is only 4 times each summer, so it's not exactly a career or anything. We do things such as singing, and instrument building. (mostly percussion)

The way I found the job was through an ad in the newspaper. So if you're looking to do something in music, part time - I'd suggest checking out the local section of the newspaper.

Community arts continues to be seen by many as a tool for addressing a wide range of agendas including regeneration, social inclusion and community cohesion, with local government as a prominent employer. Many councils employ a community arts officer, or even small teams, dedicated to this agenda.

Community arts worker: Employers and vacancy sources | Prospects.ac.uk

For expert advise:
    [email protected]
    1-866-821-8819 ext.34
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information