Default Train Driver -The Easiest Job in The World

Now this must be the easiest job in the world with the most consistent pay rises and most amount of time off. Become a train driver – you are on strike half the time, and, to get you back to work they just give in to your pay rise demands. No qualifications needed for a job that starts on more than nurses and teachers do! Okay, I imagine it is boring sitting in dark tunnels going back and forward, but nothing a good iTunes playlist couldn’t solve. These guys should be taking a pay cut not moaning about conditions and striking, my ticket fares are sky high and they get pay rises and free travel!

Do not get me started, there will be another rail strike at the beginning of April and there are warnings of "chaos" on the roads when UK faces its first national rail strike since 1994, and I am telling you, it will cost the economy billions of pounds and it all comes out of our pockets. My cousin used to be a train driver and they got it really easy. I do not know what they striking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Now this must be the easiest job in the world with the most consistent pay rises and most amount of time off. Become a train driver – you are on strike half the time, and, to get you back to work they just give in to your pay rise demands. No qualifications needed for a job that starts on more than nurses and teachers do! Okay, I imagine it is boring sitting in dark tunnels going back and forward, but nothing a good iTunes playlist couldn’t solve. These guys should be taking a pay cut not moaning about conditions and striking, my ticket fares are sky high and they get pay rises and free travel!
    I am not a train driver but I think that the job can be very stressful as they have so many rules and regulations to follow. Train drivers also work long and unsocial hours and I believe they should get paid lot more than they get paid now.

Train driving sounds boring because its kinda like a routine, but somehow it also sounds interesting to me. Imagine carrying and driving the huge train. Its one noble and sensitive job to have coz just like any other drivers, the life of his passengers is on their hands while on travel. i think they should be pay well in exchange of their hard work.

Default Train Driver Job

Train driving usually entails passenger or freight transport, though some drivers are involved in track maintenance or testing. There are a wide range of rules and regulations to learn and drivers must be able to diagnose faults and deal safely with failures both with the trains themselves and the infrastructure on which they run.

Competencies in these skills - and in emergency procedures such as fires or derailments - must be kept up and are subject to regular examination. Route learning is also a lengthy process as drivers are expected to know every feature of the journey including shunting moves, depots and complex track layouts at stations - this is subject to examination too. Drivers are often required to drive at full line speed in reduced visibility or at prescribed speeds when safety systems have been disabled and special methods of working are in place, hence the importance afforded this subject.

A typical depot works an average 35 hour, 4-day week with Sundays at enhanced rate. Sometimes a week of work can be much longer than 35 hours but there are usually days off in block to compensate. Annual leave entitlement can range from 26 to 36 days and average pay is around £37k. Many drivers earn in the region of £70k with overtime, particularly at Intercity or freight depots. No qualifications are required in order to apply to become a train driver though the extensive testing, medical and interview process weed out the vast majority of applicants.

To become a Eurostar driver one must have completed at least five year's high speed work incident free. Selection is undertaken over two weeks of residential assessment in order to guage aptitude for learning languages and Continental signalling. The pay is not much more than Virgin or NXEC (formerly GNER)and all companies but Eurostar recruit people straight from the street into the driver grade.

Quote Originally Posted by riazishere View Post
    Train driving usually entails passenger or freight transport, though some drivers are involved in track maintenance or testing. There are a wide range of rules and regulations to learn and drivers must be able to diagnose faults and deal safely with failures both with the trains themselves and the infrastructure on which they run.

Competencies in these skills - and in emergency procedures such as fires or derailments - must be kept up and are subject to regular examination. Route learning is also a lengthy process as drivers are expected to know every feature of the journey including shunting moves, depots and complex track layouts at stations - this is subject to examination too. Drivers are often required to drive at full line speed in reduced visibility or at prescribed speeds when safety systems have been disabled and special methods of working are in place, hence the importance afforded this subject.

A typical depot works an average 35 hour, 4-day week with Sundays at enhanced rate. Sometimes a week of work can be much longer than 35 hours but there are usually days off in block to compensate. Annual leave entitlement can range from 26 to 36 days and average pay is around £37k. Many drivers earn in the region of £70k with overtime, particularly at Intercity or freight depots. No qualifications are required in order to apply to become a train driver though the extensive testing, medical and interview process weed out the vast majority of applicants.

To become a Eurostar driver one must have completed at least five year's high speed work incident free. Selection is undertaken over two weeks of residential assessment in order to guage aptitude for learning languages and Continental signalling. The pay is not much more than Virgin or NXEC (formerly GNER)and all companies but Eurostar recruit people straight from the street into the driver grade.
    In this case, if you are a train driver, I dare ask, is there anything else you can not be? Talking of the looming strike in the UK, is there something that can be done to stop it from happening?

Train Driving is one of the easiest but very responsible job.

Some may find it easy but it can be tiring at times, and you may have to work extra hours and be up late driving people around. It's different from other jobs, but like everything else too, it has it's challenges and some people are more cut out for it than others.

People look at train drives at the front of the train cab and think that this must be the easiest job in the world. Yes, physically it is not that demanding especially when everything goes according to plan but there is lot of knowledge required to operate trains and you are under very strict rules that you must follow at all times and there are heavy penalties if you make a one single mistake, few of these mistakes and you may even loose your jobs. Because you are responsible for all that expensive equipment and hundreds of lives, this job is very stressful indeed. You have to concentrate and be on alert at every moment. Driving trains is certainly not a easy job.
    Euro trains travel from Ebbsfleet to Paris and Europe. Drive and park at Ebbsfleet for trains from the UK to international locations in Europe, such as France, Belgium, Netherlands and many sunny holiday destinations across Europe Ebbsfleet Europe - Ebbsfleet Local Directory

Well you need to know how to operate a train and sometime you may have to work quite lateat night depending on your schedule. I wouldn't say its the easiest job in the world, but it's not the hardest either. I imagine it can be quite demanding at times, and sometime boring when you have to wait in the train if the train tracks are flooded or what not.

Since I was a kid I've always wanted to work on the railroad. But, it seems like such a hard industry to get into. From what I've read and heard you need to know the right people to get a job. They seem to hire friends and relatives.

I just think it'd be so neat to be a brakeman. That's the person that pulls the level to determine which track the train will go down when there's a fork in the rail. It's probably machine operated nowadays, but it just seems like fun.

If you're a rail enthusiast, or personally know a train driver, then you will probably already have a good idea of what the day to day life of a train driver is like. However in recent times, applicants for train driver jobs and vacancies are increasingly coming from candidates 'off the street' - people from outside the rail industry, who have heard what the benefits of the job are, and have pursued the job because of this.In this section of the site I will give an outline of what an average day of a train driver would look like. This will give you a good idea of whether or not you still wish to pursue this career choice, and also help with the recruitment process, as when applying you will have to tailor you're answers to demonstrate that you have the attributes and qualities of a successful train driver candidate! You will also no doubt be asked what you're expectations of the job are when being interviewed, but we will get to that part in more detail later.

The Role Of A Train Driver

Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information