Question Want To Be A Biomedical Engineer

Hello everyone.
    I'll get right to the chase: I'm a rising 4th year in college attending UGA. I came in intending to go pre-med with a B.S. in biology; I discovered i had a healthy interest in math and physics and added math as a second major with the intention of getting into biological physics somewhere down the road; recently I've looked into biomedical engineering, and it is by far the most appealing field I've seen. Using biology, physics, and chemistry to design new technologies seems fascinating.
    My issue is that I feel its far too late for myself to steer myself toward a degree in biomedical engineering. I've been taking a lot of pure math and biology classes, but I know I need to learn much more chemistry, physics, and engineering classes. I want to ask the forum for any and all advice that can help to get a solid degree in this field so I can be ready to start a career as an engineer.

I'm a chemical engineer working on making polymers for drug delivery, so I interact a lot with biomedical/bioengineers (minute differences, really). What I really like about biomedical/chemical engineering is the idea of applied science. It's not just science for science's sake, which, unfortunately, a lot of research out there is. I was originally a chemistry major, went to grad school for organic chemistry, and now I work in chemical engineering. Unfortunately, organic chemistry is currently devoid of true innovation. The real innovation is coming from the engineers both chemical and biomedical. Engineers solve real world problems and apply what they've learned to modern day issues. Plus engineers have more job opportunities and better pay than their counterparts (ie, chemical engineers fair better in the job market than chemists and bioengineers fair better than biologists).

Another option if you will miss the deadlines is to try to get a job in the industry with your degree and then apply in one year. Just depends on deadlines and when you'd like to enroll.

With all that said, grad school is tough. It's a large chunk of your life (depending if you do MS vs PhD, an argument for another day, perhaps), and despite all the gov't talking heads saying they need more students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), the job market is currently tough for graduates holding advanced degrees in those fields. Okay, so maybe tech/comp sci guys are doing well, but the biology/chemistry people are having a tough time because many jobs are being outsourced. My guess is that in a couple of years when you are coming out of grad school, the job market and overall economy should look a lot better.

Hi Friend,

You can be an amazing biomedical engineer only if you have tremendous talent in Biology and Maths both. To get a job as a biomedical engineer you need to pass through biotechnology colleges that have the required course in Biomedical engineering. Some of the engineering colleges like IIT also offer a course in this branch.

Biomedical engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering from a university or four-year college. Ideally the degree would be in biomedical engineering, but some biomedical engineers studied mechanical, electrical, or some other related type of engineering. A master's degree is often preferred for many senior-level roles, but there are jobs available to college graduates after completing the bachelor's degree. If you meet all this qualifications than certainly you can apply for Biomedical engineering.
    http://www.iesacademy.com/

Biomedical Engineering is Gem of a field if you want to pursue with research perspective and you have some research perspectives in your mind or you want to do something innovative in the field. But on the other hand if you want instantaneous job after your engineering that too with a very high salary then you are mistaken
    Biomedical Engineering requires application of the innovation and time to excel.

Biomedical Engineering is about application off all the Engineering disciplines which exist at the present date in the field of Healthcare. Its Never say Die type of Industry, Recession proof, It is specialize but at the same time Highly interdisciplinary and interesting. It feels like you are a great job when you work in such a field.
    I have been a student of the Same field for past 6 years and with my experience , I will say I never get Bored with it.
    I love this branch and all opportunities are bright. It will Boom like nything
    You should read my website LATEST BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, UPDATES,JOBS,BOOKS,WORKSHOPS,LECTURES,RESEARCH,NOT ES,NEWS,TRAININGS,JOBS,SEMINARS,CONFERENCE,JOBS IN INDIA,SCIENCES,TECHNOLOGY for more details or you can contact me on FB
    http://facebook.com/biomedikal.in
    For expert advise:
    [email protected]
    1-866-821-8819 ext.34
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information