Default I Think I Should Become A Baker

I took one of these online career advice/recommendation tests and the results indicated that I should become a Baker, as in bakery baking stuff. I have considered becoming a chef before but never thought about becoming a Baker. In all honesty, I do not have any objections to it but I just don’t know much about this profession. Yes, I do have general idea but maybe someone who works as a Baker already can give me more detailed information what is the job about?

Arrow Baker Job Description

A baker's job can be difficult at times. Baker's jobs entail producing products that serve the community or the demographic that they are catering to and can be physically and mentally draining. Bakers enjoy spending the day baking the products their customers enjoy while the night is spent preparing for the next day's baked goods. Many bakers receive many requests for custom baked goods which could be very challenging at times, even with a large team of bakers on hand.

Where Bakers Can Work

Bakers have a variety of opportunities depending on where they wish to set up their operations or join a team of other bakers. Many bakers simply start their own bakery while others will enter into an existing bakery. Many bakers find that their skills are needed in a more commercial setting where they will be producing generic breads for consumers at supermarkets. Bakers are needed nearly everywhere to produce bread, deserts, cakes and other pastries that the majority of the population consumes on a daily basis. There is a bakery in nearly every location and bakers are always needed as staff in a variety of shops and market settings.

Baker Duties

Bakers may be required to gather or purchase ingredients for bread, create deserts, mix dough, decorate cakes, pack bakery product and many other duties and tasks which are necessary for well functioning bakery business. Bakers must have some basic skills like mathematics for good ingredient calculation of recipes. Speed is also very important and also accuracy when creating the bread or cakes or pastry that the bakery produces every day. Bakers must also sanitize and clean their work equipment, utensils and other baking materials after they are finished baking. Applying creativity and making new products is also something bakers should do.

Baker Wages

Bakers are usually paid on an hourly wage depending on their location, place of employment, position and specialty. On average bakers are able to earn about $35,000 per year in the US while bakers in the UK will earn around 15,280 pounds per year. Most bakers are eligible to receive benefits such as health care, bonuses and vacation time which will really depend on the employer.

Promotion

Bakers are often started in entry level positions when they start. Entry level positions may be simple processes such as preparing ingredients for products. Advancement will follow a series of job advancements which may eventually lead them to becoming a head baker or supervisor manager. Most baking positions will be full time while lower positions may be part time for apprentices and those which are still studying in their culinary arts programs.

Uniform

Bakers will usually be required to wear baker appropriate attire to ensure that products are created without the risk of contamination. The baker attire will consist of clean basic clothing, an apron, gloves when necessary, a hair net (as well as a beard net when required for men) and facemasks when working with fine powders to protect from lung damage. Not every work environment will require all aspects of this uniform and may even provide an alternative for the employees.

Job Outlook

Bakers are always needed in nearly every town, city and supermarket like Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Marks and Spencer, Waitrose and Sainsburys. Getting a baker's job really depends on where you plan to work and your educational background for what you ultimately want to do in the field. It takes a great deal of effort to learn, apply training and perform well in a baker position. As long as you stick to your duties and work well with your team you will have no problem keeping a baking jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Berg View Post
    I took one of these online career advice/recommendation tests and the results indicated that I should become a Baker, as in bakery baking stuff. I have considered becoming a chef before but never thought about becoming a Baker. In all honesty, I do not have any objections to it but I just don’t know much about this profession. Yes, I do have general idea but maybe someone who works as a Baker already can give me more detailed information what is the job about?
    A baker has the task of making a wide variety of products from simple breads to cakes and pastries. Bakers also have to understand their market, the influence of the seasons and a variety of other factors which help them decide which products that they will produce and sell. Bakers are a necessary part of society as they create some of the most important foods that society consumes on a daily basis.

Education

A baker does need to be able to perform simple tasks such as correctly measuring, multiplying and altering ingredients in the breads that they will be making. At the very least, an education level that provides them with these skills is needed to be able to become a simple town baker. At the highest levels where bakers need a more formal education, a university background in a culinary arts program is required. A culinary arts degree is a great option for those who wish to make baking their career choice. Alternative forms of education may be available through a vocational study program available for students to take part in.

Training

Some bakers will be instructed by the company that employs them in what their main job will be. This will be a formal training of the duties assigned to bakers who will be working for a larger setting such as a supermarket. Training can be as simple as being taught the basics of the trade needed in their function at the job. If the baker will be working for a bakery or bake shop rather than a supermarket setting, then a much more in depth teaching of the baking processes will be applied. This will allow the workers of the bakery to create the products that are in demand when they are needed as well as having a staff of bakers which could perform all tasks if necessary. Training a baker really depends on the setting in which they will perform their daily tasks.

Influence

Being a baker is not only a job where everything is done by the book. A good baker has to experiment with the ingredients that they have available to them so that they can create new products that appeal to a larger span of consumers. Understanding the consumer's needs is very crucial as many aspects of baking will require the creation of unique breads, deserts and other pastries which can compete with other bakers in the same location. Bakers in supermarkets are usually required to stick by the book to produce commercialized products which are usually very generic and cater to a generic consumer base. Bakers who will be running their own baking operation or will be joining a team of bakers in larger areas will need to be able to bring their own flavor in their work which helps to ensure that customers enjoy the bread they create. A large part of the bread creation process is where the bakery process is being done. Bakers which operate in a location where a majority of the consumers enjoy a certain type of bread will cause an increase in those types of breads.

Apprenticeship

Sometimes bakeries will not hire new bakers unless they can prove that they can learn the trade and can perform well under the circumstances of the bakery and demand of products. An apprenticeship is one of the opportunities which many bakers must take to be able to learn the job while working for free or at a minimum wage.

A baker may work an entire day baking and nights preparing for the next day of breads that people enjoy. Bakers need to have good work ethic to produce quality products.

Dont go to culinary school. Its a waste of time and ALOT of money. I got suckerd into paying 40k for an "associates" degree in culinary arts. They gave me an estimate of a $40-$50k salary per year so dont sweat spending so much money in just fourteen months. What I diddnt know was that an executive chef at a big hotel does indeed make that much. A cook right out of school is quite another thing. They were preying on my ignorance

I work at the biggest hotel in my state, and still dont make enough to pay my student loans, which have now defaulted. My passion for food is all but gone, and my credit is un repairable. Im enlisting in the military and hopefully step on a land mine or get shot so I dont have to pay those wretched lying bastards any more of my hard earned money. I made good money before culinary school and could have been a home owner by now.

Send your resume for Free Resume Assessment.

Thanks.

Thread Information