Thread: Editing?

Default Editing?

How much qualifications are required to become a video editor for the BBC? I've wanted to become one for a while now but never done that course in uni.

Having a degree in media studies or editing does help, but it is not always needed. I don't think you can go straight to the BBC with no reel. Get a few minutes together of your best stuff/edits and put them into this one reel which you can present to them to show what you can do.

My cousin is an editor for a small production company in aberdeen. He never had any real qualifications in that area but he did have some good grades. I think he told me that they mainly asked for previous work that he'd done, and he never actually had that much! But I think they took him on as they were really small at the time, and he's been with them ever since.

You'll want to have some type of degree related to film to work as a video editor in the BBC. You'll also need to be good, so doing a video editing course or reading some books on the topic will help you learn faster. You'll want to have some experience as a freelancer before applying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedboy View Post
    How much qualifications are required to become a video editor for the BBC? I've wanted to become one for a while now but never done that course in uni.
    It would probably help if you had a media degree or any other one film related. If you don't have a qualification near that area, you're going to have to prove talent by producing a demo reel of all your best work and sending it to them. Even get an editing job at a smaller company for your CV before applying could help.

Having some form of degree within media editing and production would definitely help but I wouldn't say it's essential. You'll definitely want to be experienced and good at what you do, and be able to use a wide range of editing software including Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid and Sony Vegas Pro. You'll also need to have a reel to showcase your work.
    Get Guaranteed Phone Contracts with No Hassle, No Fuss and No Quibble - 99% Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Having some form of degree within media editing and production would definitely help but I wouldn't say it's essential. You'll definitely want to be experienced and good at what you do, and be able to use a wide range of editing software including Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid and Sony Vegas Pro. You'll also need to have a reel to showcase your work.
    I've had experience with working within post production facilities including video editing and the software they were using was Premiere Pro. It ranges depending on the company, but familiarizing yourself with this particular software will really help you. In terms of degrees, a media degree would help but like Erin pointed out a good reel is essential.

No specific qualifications are required and so this area of work is open to all graduates and those with a HND. However, the following subjects may increase your chances and provide you with useful experience:

1. communication and media studies;
    2. photography/film/television;
    3. fine art/visual art;
    4. information technology/multimedia;
    5. graphic design.

Entry without a degree or HND is possible but applicants must show commitment and determination to enter the industry. Courses offering film/media production experience may be advantageous.

-Source: Film/video editor : Entry requirements | Prospects.ac.uk

If you want to get employed as soon as possible, order a professional resume from Cheap Resume Writing Services!

I have found Cheap Resume Writing Services as a good source that also offers Free Resume Critique.

Thanks.

Thread Information