Default Qualifications For Being a Veterinarian Assistant

I've always loved dogs and all animals and have wanted to do something involving them. Being a vet takes more school than I think I could handle or afford and it also takes many years. I would like to have more information about what it takes to become a veterinarian assistant. I think that would be more feasible at this time in my life. Also, can you specialize in one type of animal, like dogs or cats?
    Isabella

There aren't many qualifications needed to become a veterinary assistant. However; generally speaking, someone with an associate or bachelors degree in an animal science field will have a good chance at landing a job.

There are private organizations and schools that focus on veterinary assistance; however it's not necessary. Much of the time; training will be done in an on-the-job basis through hands on training.

It's definitely a type of job that takes a strong heart though. I don't think I could handle it. assisting in the euthanasia of family pets and the depressed family to go with it would be a daily routine.

Quote Originally Posted by isabella17 View Post
    I've always loved dogs and all animals and have wanted to do something involving them. Being a vet takes more school than I think I could handle or afford and it also takes many years. I would like to have more information about what it takes to become a veterinarian assistant. I think that would be more feasible at this time in my life. Also, can you specialize in one type of animal, like dogs or cats?
    I think the qualifications differ for location. So, you might want to go down to your vets office and ask them what they had to do to land a job. What courses they needed and how long it took....

There are no formal educational requirements for veterinary assistants. They receive on-the-job training only.

Job Outlook -Veterinary Assistants:
    Veterinary assistants should see much faster than average job growth through 2018.

Earnings - Veterinary Assistants:
    Veterinary assistants earned median hourly wages of $10.43 and median annual wages of $21,700 in 2009.

Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much veterinary assistants currently earn in your city.

A Day in a Veterinary Assistant's Life:
    On a typical day a Veterinary Assistant may:

feed, water and examine animals;
    clean and disinfect cages and work areas;
    sterilize laboratory and surgical equipment;
    provide post-operative care;
    administer medication orally or topically;
    prepare samples for laboratory examination under a veterinarian's or veterinarian technician's supervision;

I think you like specially dogs- am I right? Any way I respect your thoughts. To be a Veterinarian Assistant is good and the path you choose for your career is right and will be effective. You go for this course. I appreciate your career planning.

I worked as a vet assistant in my younger 20's. I had not education on it. The vet hired me because he was a family friend and was willing to train me hands on. I learned everything in a months time that I would have learned through school.

It doesn't require any documentation of education but it will help if you don't know anyone and a vet is not willing to train you.

I also think there are no specific requirements to be a vet assistant. You are just basically doing the dirty work around the clinic and help the doc out if he or she needs something. That is definitely something that you can learn on the job.

Thread Information