Default Freelance Cab Driver

I was thinking about starting my own business as a cab driver. I was thinking I could put up flyers around pubs in my area, and charge people for me to pick them up from the bar and drive them home.

Is this something I could do? Do I need to get any sort of certifications or special insurance for this? I feel that it could be a great way to make extra money, but I just don't know how to start.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. Just be careful not to break any laws! I'm sure there are some some legality things to consider when getting into something like this. But, I'm sure if you keep your business small, you can certainly hop through some loopholes.

I've made some cash driving my friends to and from bars before.
    I would have done it for free; but since they offered, I gladly accepted their money.

To become a minicab driver you need to get a PCO licence first. Then you have an option to start your own cab company of start working for already existing cab company. You can not just be a cab driver and distribute fliers and work for yourself like that. This industry is highly regulated.
    It is always good to take a break

dont wory be happy

Quote Originally Posted by gamelah View Post
    To become a minicab driver you need to get a PCO licence first. Then you have an option to start your own cab company of start working for already existing cab company. You can not just be a cab driver and distribute fliers and work for yourself like that. This industry is highly regulated.
    Good advice. Not to mentioned the insurance you would need to operate. It would be expensive.

Hi Dan, I hope all is well. To work as a private hire taxi driver you don’t need any particular qualifications, but you will need an operator's licence. Take a look at the National Careers Service Taxi Driver job profile for more information on the role. In the meantime, I’ve included the eligibility criteria for you below and popped in the links to the relevant organisations that you’ll need to contact.

To be eligible for the private hire taxi licence you’ll normally need to:

• have held a full UK or EEA driving licence for at least 12 months (3 years in London)
    • pass a criminal records check
    • pass a medical
    • be over 18 (21 in many areas including London)
    • pass a geographical test
    • complete a driving skills assessment
    • be a UK or EU citizen or have the right to stay and work in the UK.

If you’re in London the geographical test is called 'The Knowledge'. You’d be expected to build up a detailed picture of routes, landmarks and places of interest on which you would be tested. See the Transport for London website for more information about 'The Knowledge' and other licensing conditions.

Outside of London your geographical test and driving skills assessment would all be organised by your local council taxi driver licensing unit. For the details of your local licensing unit, get in touch with your local council. You can use the following link to find their details. GOV.UK – local council directory

Out of interest, have you ever done anything similar, i.e. run your own business? It can be quite an undertaking and it could be useful to get a little business advice if you do decide to go down this route. BusinessLink offer advice on setting up and running your own business. You can give their helpline a ring on 0845 600 9006

I hope that helps and please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need any more info.

Good luck with it all

Leo

My freind wanted to become taxi driver in London but passing a geographical test is very difficult so He eventually give up.

Yes, you would need some form of insurance and also I believe there would be a few other things you would need to be able to do this legally. Check into it but I do not believe it will be as cheap to start up as you may of originally though.

That is really a good idea to earn extra money. You are on the right track dear. To be a Mini Cab driver in the UK, you need to have attained 21 years of age and a Full UK Driving License (cat B). You have to go to the nearest post office and ask for the D1 form. Fill it up include you current photo, include cheque, or credit/debit card details (it cost ~£45), send it away and after approximately 2 weeks you will receive DVLA UK driving license.

Driving licences for private hire or taxis in London

Thread Information