Default Moving To The United States - I Read That I Need A CDL To Drive A Semi

Hi everyone. I currently live in a country where I do not need a specialized drivers license to be a semi truck driver. However; I am going to be moving to the United States to take care of my parents. I've been driving a semi truck for almost 30 years, and I would like to continue this type of job. I read up that I need to get a "commercial drivers license" (CDL). Does anyone know how difficult it is to get the license? I have many years of experience, so I'm sure I'll do fine, but I'm still a bit worried about certain written questions I'll have to answer in the test.

Also, do I have to find my own truck to drive for the on-the-road test, or can I borrow one from the testing center?

Thanks.

Hi Craig1. My brother is a commercial truck driver as well. I called him up and asked him this question. He told me that it varies from state to state as to the variables of the test. The Department of Motor Vehicles of the particular state you're moving to is who you need to call to ask about the specifics of obtaining your CDL. There are some testing centers that have their own trucks for the driving part of the test; whereas some will require you to bring your own. There are also companies that will rent out trucks for the sole purpose of CDL tests.

Good luck!

I am currently a CDL driver of 11 years and I've never heard of the DMV providing the truck for you to test although it may very well be true in some places. The test itself shouldn't be a problem especially since you've driven commercial vehicles for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
    Hi everyone. I currently live in a country where I do not need a specialized drivers license to be a semi truck driver. However; I am going to be moving to the United States to take care of my parents. I've been driving a semi truck for almost 30 years, and I would like to continue this type of job. I read up that I need to get a "commercial drivers license" (CDL). Does anyone know how difficult it is to get the license? I have many years of experience, so I'm sure I'll do fine, but I'm still a bit worried about certain written questions I'll have to answer in the test.

Also, do I have to find my own truck to drive for the on-the-road test, or can I borrow one from the testing center?

Thanks.
    Have you gotten to the USA and take the test yet? If so how did you do?

BEFORE THE COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE PROGRAM
    It is widely recognized that driving certain commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) requires special skills and knowledge. Prior to implementation of the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Program, in a number of States and the District of Columbia, any person licensed to drive an automobile could also legally drive a tractor-trailer or a bus. Read more... Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS)

Thread Information