Thread: Social Services

Default Social Services

Hello everyone I need some advice on behalf of my wife. She is very keen on becoming a social worker and working for social services. The problem is the training courses seem to need ou to be in a social worker employment position already .

Is there a route to go down that doesn't require her to already be in that area of work? She is an undergraduate but has GCSE and various admin qualifications.

I would ask an already social services person to see if there are other options. They would know- especially in your area.

Hi Rachid, there are a variety of routes to qualify as a social worker.

The most common route to become a social worker is to take a 3 year undergraduate degree in social work. From your post I wasn’t sure about the level of qualifications that she already has. To get on to the degree she would need to have A’ levels or an access to higher education qualification in social work. Is going to university an option for her?

The alternative is an employment based route and would involve getting taken on as a social work assistant. This can often be a good route to go down if she needs to be earning a wage. It might be worth having a chat to someone at social services to see if they can give her any advice about becoming a social work assistant.

There’s some useful information on all the routes into social work on the National Careers Service website. Click the links below for a look at their job profiles.
    Social worker job profile

Social work assistant job profile

Out of interest, has she done anything like this type of work before, such as working with people in vulnerable situations? Employers and universities tend to look for some sort of experience. That being said, just having the right personality can get a person into a social work assistant role.

If she does want to get some experience, it would be worth looking into a spot of volunteering. Her local volunteer centre might be able to find her some relevant experience. Click the link to find the nearest volunteer centre! Find a Volunteer Centre - Do-it

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions at all, just get in touch!

All the best

Leo

Default opinion

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheAdviser View Post
    Hi Rachid, there are a variety of routes to qualify as a social worker.

The most common route to become a social worker is to take a 3 year undergraduate degree in social work. From your post I wasn’t sure about the level of qualifications that she already has. To get on to the degree she would need to have A’ levels or an access to higher education qualification in social work. Is going to university an option for her?

The alternative is an employment based route and would involve getting taken on as a social work assistant. This can often be a good route to go down if she needs to be earning a wage. It might be worth having a chat to someone at social services to see if they can give her any advice about becoming a social work assistant.

There’s some useful information on all the routes into social work on the National Careers Service website. Click the links below for a look at their job profiles.
    Social worker job profile

Social work assistant job profile

Out of interest, has she done anything like this type of work before, such as working with people in vulnerable situations? Employers and universities tend to look for some sort of experience. That being said, just having the right personality can get a person into a social work assistant role.

If she does want to get some experience, it would be worth looking into a spot of volunteering. Her local volunteer centre might be able to find her some relevant experience. Click the link to find the nearest volunteer centre! Find a Volunteer Centre - Do-it

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions at all, just get in touch!

All the best

Leo
    They are planning to change the social work degree from 2013 on wards. There will be update on it shortly on the proposed changes. Go through it.

Social services is a very good job. This can any type of social services. I would like to tell you about Robert Rushford, he is a great social worker.
    Robert Rushford did degrees in social work.

Thread Information