Thread: Medical Billing

Default Medical Billing

I have gotten my medical assisting certificate and have worked in healthcare but it has been 10 years since then. What do I need to do to work in billing and coding?

Honestly the only advice I could give is that you make sure you know who you are working for before hand. I know there were many medical billing scans in the past and what the places present as a real job is not anything like the fantasy they make it up to be. Do your research first, esp. before you hand over any money they might ask for.

I have looked into a few course and for medical coding it runs around $3000. I talked to someone at Kaplan and they have an internship and everything so I may just go with them. Thank you for your response!

Do you have a experience certificate? If yes, apply in medical companies with that. If possible, give references to your previous employer. You will definitely get a job.

Default Getting Started in Medical Billing and Coding

Medical billing and coding is an administrative role played in the healthcare sector by individuals who want to work in health care but not really to deal with patients directly. Medical billing and medical coding are two very different jobs but both are performed in the health care sector. In the case of medical billing this involves the responsibility of ensuring that each patient is billed accordingly. It requires an individual who can work well with people and who has the ability to decipher invoices and coded data. As for the medical coding work is all a matter of analyzing and coding data without having to make contact with most individuals.

Getting started in medical billing and coding requires the individual to know certain important information about the kind of work to expect and the working hours involved. It is crucial to note that the working condition for billers and coders is usually an office set up and the work can be done as a part time job or full time with 40 hours input maximum. This means that the individual seeking to work in such a career should first find out the working requirements for the medical billing and coding agency they want to work for.

One has to be well trained to be able to perform medical billing and coding. The individual has to be well versed in the terms used in health care institutions, softwares used in medical billing, how to evaluate medical documents and also how to evaluate programs provided by the government. These training can be acquired from vocational training institutes or it can be gotten from local colleges that offer them. it is likely that one individual can perform both the billing and coding task especially in small medical institutions but in most cases they are different individuals.

Not an issue people can work into the any department which he want. But here are some thing which i want to suggest you. First check k your certification that in which area you have your certification and yin which fields you was working from last 10 years. Coding and billing is not easy you should have some account related knowledge and experience of handling for some major hospitality.

Switching into the different field can decrease your salary and your experience, no one will pay a good salary because people always pay according to the skills and experience. So just need to go into the same field in which you was working earlier.

Thread Information