Default 20 Years Old, Is Plumbing a Good Career?

After working for the last year I am now bored and realise I need to start thinking seriously about my future career. I am thinking about becoming either an electrician or plumber. Do you think that this would be a good career move for me?

Have done some research and a lot of people are saying its a very rewarding career with constant work available and that there is a big shortage in the amount of electricians/plumbers these days.

Default 20 years old, is plumbing a good career?

Im 20 years old, i finished my college course in july 09 where i studied sports psychology. Sport has always been my main interest and while at college i had the aim of becoming either a physio or personal trainer. Since i finished the course last year ive realised how hard it is to get into physiotherapy, which requires 4 years at uni and how badly personal trainers are doing at the moment, theres simply not enough people paying for them these days.

For the last year ive been working part time in a local store, i now feel like i want a change and work towards a positive career. I am more into physical things, theres no way i could do a desk job.

After being advised to a few years ago by my whole family, i am now thinking about going into plumbing or electrics.

Is this a good career? How do i go about starting a course?

Getting a trade under your belt is a very good idea - good plumbers and sparkies are always in demand! Your still young too so its definitely not too late to consider a new career. You may have to start at the bottom as an electrician's mate - basically doing all the donkey work for a qualified electrician but you can study at a local college at the same time to get your qualifications. Plus there are great opportunities to work abroad too, Australia loves our tradesmen from the UK and its pretty straightforward to get permanent residency out there if you have a skill that they are short of. The guys who work in the mines and on the oil rigs are making very big money. Good luck!

Thumbs up 20 years old, is plumbing a good career?

Do whatever you want to do but according to your interest. If you want to become an electrician or plumber, then, in my opinion, you should go for an electrician because electrician are in very high demand today.

In my opinion and my knowledge in this field, I must say that electricians and plumbers both are in quite high demand nowadays, especially here in UK. As for you to decide which career to choose, you should consider which one you would enjoy doing most as the jobs are bit different. But all said, I think that being an electrician has bit wider career opportunities working for companies or even for a army as plumber is limited to contract work or working on self employment bases.

Batter Guest

Hi confused.com,
    I will suggest for an electrician. Because at least once a month I buy electric appliance. There are many house hold item related to electric. On the other hand you can count plumber related items on your finger tips.

Decision is yours.

If I was 20 years old again , I would get a trade , no question. If I remember , wasn't there a spate of people leaving well paid white collar jobs in the Uk to retrain as plumbers a few years back ? Wish I'd done it myself..

I think a trade is a great profession. Much like doctors and nurses, they are always in demand. After you go through all the steps and become a master at a trade, the financial stability is there as well.

Default Both good choices

I think plumbing and being an electrician are a good idea. People need plumbers and electricians. In a lot of cases people are willing to pay well for their services. If you enjoy the work then you should go for it.

I've heard you can make a very good living being a plummer? Are you going to get bored with it? Probably, because most professions get boring because after a while everything feels the same. That's a fact of life, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused.com View Post
    After working for the last year I am now bored and realise I need to start thinking seriously about my future career. I am thinking about becoming either an electrician or plumber. Do you think that this would be a good career move for me?

Have done some research and a lot of people are saying its a very rewarding career with constant work available and that there is a big shortage in the amount of electricians/plumbers these days.
    It is true. Today there is a lot of scope for electricians either for the newly constructed buldings or for the repairing. If you are hired by companies they may give you a refreshment course to update your knowledge on latest development. You can associate with some agent and learn the practical style and become more skilfull
    Job Interview Questions and Answers

Plumbing and electrician both are very good in career point of view, But I thing plumbing is more suitable for you.

They're both excellent careers and will be in very high demand, especially within the next 5-10 years as more and more qualified tradespeople retire.

It really comes down to what type of work you would enjoy more. I'd suggest that you talk to your family and friends and see if any of them know any electricians or plumbers that you could talk with. This would help you get a better understanding of what each trade consists of. You might even want to see if you can tag along for a day of work so you can actually experience the job.

In my opinion, electricians and plumbers both are in quite high demand nowadays. As for you to decide which career to choose, you should consider which one you would enjoy doing most as the jobs are bit different. At last I say to you plumbing is more suitable for you probably.

Plumbing is not the the trade it was,
    Due to many fast track courses and high immigration from east Europe.
    Many true, time served and fully (UK C&G) qualified plumbers like my self. Have had to drop there prices, have less work and need to travel further.
    There was once a good carieer in plumbing with a good salary to be made.
    These days it's hard.
    ONLY THE BEST RESUMES GET NOTICED
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information