Smile Choosing an Allied Health Career

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day. I have registered with this forum because it looked like a knowledgeable and promising place to post my question about which allied health care career I would be best off pursuing. Thank you for checking out my thread and thank you so much for any input!

I am a 25-year-old college graduate. I received my BA in Psychology, have completed basic science prerequisites (Bio, Chem, etc), and am looking into allied health careers. My initial career plan and childhood aspiration was to become a physician, or secondarily into nursing, but I have since realized that I am not very interested in diseases and am more interested in personal wellbeing and interacting with patients 1-on-1.

In college I considered becoming a psychotherapist, but I tend to be an emotional "sponge" and have a hard time directly dealing with people's strong emotions constantly. Given this plus my interest in medicine, I thought allied health would be right up my... well... alley. I also interned as a school counselor, as well, but found it to be rife with "political" issues and going back and forth with administration too much to sustain my interest. Finally, I volunteered briefly in equine therapy (recreation therapy with horses), which I very much enjoyed. As a result of these experiences, I concluded that allied health could be a very good fit.

As for my personality and skills, I think I am primarily influenced by my compassion. I really enjoy helping others. I am warm, accepting, curious, and project-oriented. I enjoy using my knowledge to help others. I have a good grasp of the sciences and I have some artistic/fine motor skills but my real love and my talent is in interacting with people and making them feel empowered.

In terms of realistic job environment, I like to be around people and I enjoy interacting with a variety of people. My significant other is a teacher so I prefer a Monday-Friday, 40-hour, nights and weekends off conventional schedule (though I would be fine with rotating weekends).

I was hoping you all might be able to help direct me towards the best allied healthcare career for me given these parameters. I was thinking about physical therapy, which seems like it might be a great fit. I have also considered Speech-Language Pathology, but I am very bad at auditory learning.

Thank you for any suggestions and advice!

Physical therapy is a great place to start working under. PT's earn good money and don't have as demanding of a job as other doctors. I think you should focus on local areas. Check out places like schools, chiropractic offices, and so on.
    Soccer Socks Youth - The high-quality youth soccer socks are the must-have item for footballers. These elegant stocking over knees socks are designed to keep sweat off of your skin when you’re walking outsides and as it’ll ideal your knee while you are playing football and it comes to you. Knee High Athletic Socks Wholesale, Bulk Athletic Socks Striped - Yhao - These knee high athletic socks striped are fashionable Perfect for football, basketball, volleyball and rugby.

Thread Information