Default How To Become A Self Employed Freelance Courier

I want to become a courier as the work on the building site is not really for me but I do like driving so I thought maybe becoming a courier is good option. To get HGV licence it will take time an money.

I do have 5 years old transporter van so all I need is customers. As I don’t know much about courier industry I am looking for info about the regulations and other things I should know and do to get my courier business going.

To become a courier and get customers you need a van first. Transporter is not really a proper van for courier jobs as it is just too small and it does not take much weight either maybe 700 kg max load.

You need long transit or sprinter to get 3 to 4 pallets in. So you can get more jobs and earn more and you will also have option to do small removals.

Once you get your van sorted you need to put up ad in the newspapers and give some fliers to local businesses that might use courier services and then just wait for calls to come in.

I think my van can take in 3 pallets as it is long version and it should take at least 1000 kg in weight.

It is also diesel so it is quite economical to drive.

Is it tailgate or doors at the back? Also does it have ply lining?

I does not have ply lining but it does have a tailgate. My mate can do ply lining for hundred quid for me.

Don’t bother about the ply lining and save your hundred pounds as the van is NO good with tailgate as forklift can not get close enough to load the ballets in, you need two doors at the back. So sell this surfing van and get a Mercedes Sprinter I would say, that is the proper van if you want to work as a courier owner driver. Also make sure it has high roof as well.

I don’t agree whit Buzz at all, I think you can use your van very effectively for courier work and It may be even too big. I used to have long Ford Transit and I was subbing for local courier company. I got lot of jobs where forklift put two pallets of tiles on the back and when I got to delivery point there was no forklift and all these tiles needed to be unloaded by hand. It was not only lot of work but sometimes it took over an hour to do. Lot of jobs where for breweries where forklift again put like fifty kegs at the back of my van and when I got to the other end there was some girl at the bar and just told me to but them in the seller. Fifty kegs each keg about fifty kilos, not that much fun. You don’t get paid for all of that, you just get paid for deliveries. Sometimes you also have to wait at the big distribution places for hours before they can load you up as there is like five lorry’s before you.

Now I got small Citroen Berlingo with seats at the back and If needed I just put the seats down so It works as my car as well so I don’t have to pay for two vehicles now. I deliver small packages, envelopes and other small items so no more heavy lifting for me. Insurance is also lower and I spend lot less money on diesel.

I would suggest you to get smaller van not bigger van, smaller van will make your life lot easier I am telling you. I have been doing courier work and I have been self employed courier for over five years now so I know what I am talking about.

Default courier job

for beginner in my opinion the best option to start in this buissnes is to take van from courier campany, lot of them supplay, if you do not have experience, you do not know how difficult job is this abd poorly paid for beginner

Default courier job

i recommend to you to get to courier company which employ people, this is much better and easier way to do and you do not need worry about number and quality job and spendings.

Thread Information