Default DJ - Where To Start!

I have played on pirate radio stations since I was 17, I am now 25. I play mostly house and garage, 4 to the floor stuff. I do parties though where I play a more commercial sound. My ambition is to move onto a legal station and become a ‘proper DJ’ if you like. Thing is, I haven’t a clue where to start! Most of my contacts are in the pirate radio and dance music scene, no one seems to have access to any commercial contacts for radio stations. I heard in the past that Kiss FM and Choice FM were both pirate stations at one point, so if a station can make that transmission then surely a DJ can!

Is the best way just to send in recordings of a sample show I wonder? If I do that I want to make sure the recording gets into the right hands, as with all these things it is who you know in order to get your foot in the door. If anyone has any contacts or knows of a good strategy then please let me know.

Cheers in advance
    Otto S

So you want to be a dignified DJ? Alright then, here is a simple guide you need to follow. Most people have the misguided notion that talent is all it takes to becoming a celebrated DJ. Of course, talent counts but it’s not all about talents. The job requires a firm grounding of basic techniques combined with proper equipment and reasonable practice. The profession offers you countless hours of pleasure as you go about mixing the different styles of music to which you can safely give a tag of your own.

It’s a must that you have the reasonable equipment to play with and try out with. It doesn’t matter if it is cheap disco gear or used ones provided you know how to handle it decently. Always have a budget in mind before you set out to purchase anything else, you might end up spending more than you envisage. You have to get the DJ turntables and the mixer first thing and only later go for the DJ lighting effects in case you have a limited budget.

As mentioned earlier, apart from having the right kind of gear, you need to know techniques and tricks of the trade. Learn from DJ tutors and you will be well on your path to glory and to a lucrative career. Not to mention all the gains in terms of monetary income if you keep working hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    I have played on pirate radio stations since I was 17, I am now 25. I play mostly house and garage, 4 to the floor stuff. I do parties though where I play a more commercial sound. My ambition is to move onto a legal station and become a ‘proper DJ’ if you like. Thing is, I haven’t a clue where to start! Most of my contacts are in the pirate radio and dance music scene, no one seems to have access to any commercial contacts for radio stations. I heard in the past that Kiss FM and Choice FM were both pirate stations at one point, so if a station can make that transmission then surely a DJ can!

Is the best way just to send in recordings of a sample show I wonder? If I do that I want to make sure the recording gets into the right hands, as with all these things it is who you know in order to get your foot in the door. If anyone has any contacts or knows of a good strategy then please let me know.

Cheers in advance
    Otto S

Google is your Friend

start up dj equipm - Google Search

Best to start small, Start with one turntable, CD player, basic mixer and your own Hi Fi system. and Mix the CD into the other and back again to get the hang of it and work up from there. There are some really good White Label stuff out But $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post

Cheers in advance
    Otto S

Hi,
    Salute to u man. IF you really want to do something ..u have to struggle...And firstly u have to start under some proper dj...There you can learn a lot and after that only talent will move u up.

Red face CV Writing Service

I think you should go for a good cv to point out you deeds. Your strengths will be highlighted there so that you can go for the one you like. You have got a good experience. After all you will have to start from somewhere.

I will recommend keep playing in local places then slowly buy more professional equipment which will help you to make more good music and if people start liking you then you will be get noticed automatically also take participation in local DJ festivals night be you can get the chance of best DJ. Always come up with new music so people will enjoy.

Learning the trade from established DJ’s and having as your mentor a successful DJ will take care of a lot of things towards bettering your career and establishing yourself as a DJ to reckon with. You see, learning from those who have been there, seen it all and done it all will help you greatly. The tips and practical advice they have to offer you will equip you with skills to deal with any eventualities and situations. You will be able to play with a lot of professionalism irrespective of the audience you play for whether it is paying customers or just a bunch of friends.

The route I'd go down to be honest If I were you is to start making beats in your house, and keep improving on it. The internet is being used a lot now for artists wanting to get their music out there. Get some beats together on youtube or whatnot, or even try sell some on itunes. Then maybe contact a small record company or bar that might be interested and show them your videos online or whatever and work your way up.

Start by starring in small pubs and nightclubs etc, then you can move onto bigger venues and even start selling your own albums/tracks when you get good enough. Call up pubs and see if they someone like you, sometimes even do it for free at first. It might be worth it to build your way up.

Try getting hired by local pubs and nightlclubs like the poster above said. Try get some of your mixes or other stuff on the internet (Youtube) and iTunes and promote yourself and your name. Sending samples could work, but it'd be easier to send it to smaller radio stations and channels that air your type of music the majority of the time. You could try find a record label company, but that's a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkingrich View Post
    Try getting hired by local pubs and nightlclubs like the poster above said. Try get some of your mixes or other stuff on the internet (Youtube) and iTunes and promote yourself and your name. Sending samples could work, but it'd be easier to send it to smaller radio stations and channels that air your type of music the majority of the time. You could try find a record label company, but that's a long shot.
    This here sounds like a good plan, although I'm no DJ! I think a lot of people have success by posting their videos to Youtube and getting noticed by big label record companies. Self distributing some of your work via iTunes could work. n the real world, try to land some cheap gigs at the start at some local venues.

If you use samples in your commercially released music, you should get legal permission. The process of getting permission from the owners of the sampled music is referred to as "sample clearance." Failure to get the proper permission could lead to serious consequences: lawsuits or the inability to distribute your music to the public.

-Source: Failure to get permission

If you really want to hunt the job as Musician, contact with Cheap Resume Writing Services that offers professional Resume Writing to all job seekers. They offer 20% discount on each order.

Thanks.

Thread Information