Default Becoming A Columnist

How would you go about becoming a columnist, such as in a magazine or newspaper? What credentials might you be expected to have? It is something that I've thought about doing since I was a young girl.

Quote Originally Posted by shenae View Post
    How would you go about becoming a columnist, such as in a magazine or newspaper? What credentials might you be expected to have? It is something that I've thought about doing since I was a young girl.
    I share the same dreams and I even went to the extent of emailing a certain columnist to get his views on the same.

Keep writing to these newspapers and/or magazine commenting on anything you find interesting and able to do. They might easily notice you.

Quote Originally Posted by nashwida View Post
    Keep writing to these newspapers and/or magazine commenting on anything you find interesting and able to do. They might easily notice you.
    I think that's great advice. I intend to make a list of newspapers and magazines I like and track what kinds of stories they are publishing. I want to make sure I'm sending the right kinds of articles.

That is a really good strategy. It will be a bit tricky at first but watch out for your big break. If you were to hear from a couple of the successful columnists, they would tell you that they all started small.

When I was young, I also once thought of having a career as a writer in a magazine or newspaper ...Anyway, I read somewhere that blogging may be a good start for an aspiring columnist. If your blog gains a lot of followers, that could boost your writing credentials. Who knows, one of your readers could be the editor of a newspaper or a magazine!

The blog suggestion is excellent. You could also get general experience of publishing my writing things for the Readers Digest or similar things. I would love the same job as Carrie from Sex and the City.

I completely love the blog writing idea. I also agree that there has to be some bit of effort from a would-be writer because we all sort of agree that nothing good comes easy.

I would advise exploring your options online rather than looking for typical print publications. Print is dying a fast and hard death thanks to the same content being readily available on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by shenae View Post
    Its a good experience to be a columnist and express yourself. Here is a link you can try.
    http://expertscolumn.com/
    Job Interview Questions and Answers

Studying other columns may help you work out the details of your own column. Look through a newspaper and identify at least three different columnists. List them here and include the category each falls under:

-Source : Becoming a Columnist

Get your Columnist Resume professionally writen in media language to get noticed by hiring athority.

For expert advise:
    [email protected]
    1-866-821-8819 ext.34
    Free Resume Assessment
    Cheap Resume Writing Services

Thread Information